i have been a bit behind in posting my recent purchases… so here goes.
1. john galliano black wool jacket w/ silk lining + full-length skirt:
– newest purchase, literally. i just bought this today, and it is also one of the newer (read: non-vintage) pieces in my closet. the high-waist, black wool + silk skirt is as gorgeous as the jacket; it is extremely and insanely long, and floats away from the body as you move. it has detailed, body-conscious darting in the back, as well as a 14-button closure. no zippers.
2. vintage adrienne vittadini black silk + sequin dress:
3. vintage black lace cocktail dress:
– the lace skirt of this dress has a beautiful scalloped edge that extends a little over the lining. the seam along the right side of the skirt was torn about 6 inches, but i easily stitched it back together.
4. vintage yves saint laurent moss green leather jacket:
– this is such an unusual color for a leather jacket, and is unbelievably soft.
5. vintage cream knee-length mink coat:
– you can’t tell from the photo, but this coat is in need of some restoration. there is a long split in the pelt on one sleeve, and there are two or three additional very small separations between pelts here and there. the condition of the fur itself, however, is excellent – super soft, with no stains, bald patches, or signs of wear along the pockets, collar, sleeves, or hem. (these are all things you should check for or ask about before purchasing a vintage fur!) i called sakowitz to get a quote on how much a repairs would cost, and after presenting my find at the register, was given a rewarding discount. hopefully this coat will be getting some much deserved TLC soon!
6. afghan handmade silver-over-bronze lapis necklace:
– i was told that the owner of the shop i bought this from purchased this in person on a trip to afghanistan several years ago.
7. vintage yves saint laurent gold tone belt buckle:
– whoops! almost forgot this one… (below par photo taken with my blackberry).