(…measuring from the declaration of independence, of course.)
i was perusing my latest issue of entrepreneur [magazine], and found some lovely facts about this great nation on the back pages. here are some of my favorites:
- The value of U.S. exports of American flags in 2011: $663,071 (Mexico was the leading buyer); the value of U.S. imports of American flags: $3.6 million ($3.3 million of which were made in China).
- The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association reports that 85% of North American households own grills or smokers.
- According to the Beer Institute, the beer industry is worth $246.5 billion and supplies 2 million jobs – independent craft brewers had sales of about $10.2 billion in 2012 (src. Brewers Association).
- The American Meat Institute reports consumers spent $1.7 billion on hot dogs in 2012.
- It is illegal to “take, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import” any part, nest or egg of a bald or golden eagle, alive or dead – felony convictions carry a maximum fine of $250,000 or 2 years in prison.
…and on that note – happy birthday, USA.
*srcs: entrepreneur.com & misc mentioned; image not original.